Fake weddings draw attention to real political issue
Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" rang through Hayden Lawn Wednesday as four couples were pronounced lawfully wedded partners — kind of.
The ceremony came as part of theatre senior Candace Brayer's final project for Theatre in the Future, her capstone class. The project requires students to construct a performance or event, and Brayer picked an issue important to her: gay marriage.
In the political world, she said, civil rights issues take a backseat to other issues." I don't think civil rights should ever be pushed to the back," she said.
Coffman is an ordained minister through the Universal Life Church." I wish it was something that had legal affect here in the state and maybe someday it will," Coffman said.
Music senior Ashley Haney stopped to watch the ceremony and share her thoughts on gay marriage." We all deserve equal rights, and I think it's something that's kind of a no-brainer," she said.
full article
The ceremony came as part of theatre senior Candace Brayer's final project for Theatre in the Future, her capstone class. The project requires students to construct a performance or event, and Brayer picked an issue important to her: gay marriage.
In the political world, she said, civil rights issues take a backseat to other issues." I don't think civil rights should ever be pushed to the back," she said.
Coffman is an ordained minister through the Universal Life Church." I wish it was something that had legal affect here in the state and maybe someday it will," Coffman said.
Music senior Ashley Haney stopped to watch the ceremony and share her thoughts on gay marriage." We all deserve equal rights, and I think it's something that's kind of a no-brainer," she said.
full article
Comments