Gene is the man

Religion has not been an active part of my life since I was a toddler.

On several occasions I’ve seen: “Where is the Martin Luther King Jr. for the gay community?”

It’s just my personal opinion but I’m leaning towards Bishop Gene Robinson.

As I stated I’m not religious. In my mind religion tossed us [gays] aside many years ago. I realize there are translation issues with the bible. I also realize it contains some fiction. But the “general mindset” of most religions is against homosexuality.

Throughout life I’ve experienced anti-gay encounters. Some have said I’m one of the lucky ones because most people can’t tell I’m gay. I didn’t get beat up for being gay.

Although there was the time a yell from across the courtyard at school was rather alarming.

As always, I’d try my best to avoid such negatives’. Needless to say, I didn’t have a lot of friends.

I thank my parents for giving me the pride to stand up for who I am, refusing to allow others (including religion) to tell me I am any less.

Gene Robinson has my admiration and respect because he stands up for who he is also. And does so under seemingly insurmountable odds! He is a Holy Man who can bring many back to the church!

As most religious folks would probably agree the overall message in most Holy Books is love. Love, compassion, generosity, caring and all the other beautiful things of humanity and religion.

But the religion of hate has crept in. It is nothing short of a battle of good against evil. But in this case, the evil is within the good. This limits the abilities of outsiders.

Recently I viewed the movie “For the Bible tells me so”. It shocked me when I heard Gene Robinson had to wear personal body armor at his consecration to Bishop.

I think every person should see this movie. If you don’t experience several emotions during this movie, you aren’t human.

I’m going to end with a recent quote from Bishop Gene Robinson.

The worst part is that it's reminiscent of the years and years that I had to self-censor everything I said, so as not to give away the fact that I was gay. Gay and lesbian people learn at an early age to filter every single word before uttering it, straining out anything that might indicate who we really are on the inside. I know from my own experience, and from that of countless others, that this is an exercise in self-alienation. In a nanosecond we listen in our heads to what we're about to say and, before speaking, edit out anything that might indicate to the listener that we're gay. We get really, really good at it, until it becomes second nature. But it takes a toll on our souls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DADT: URGENT - ACT NOW - Contact Your Senator(s)

Headlines: Separation of Church and State (T23R-2)

Headlines: Separation of Church and State (T23R-2)