Similarities: Parents, Pulpits and Gays
As a pre-school child I was watching my father as he prepared to mow the lawn. He brought the mower into the garage, filled it up with gas and off he went.
I decided to help.
So I went and got my mower. Dad was nice enough to leave the gas can easily accessible. Following Dad's lead I 'filled my mower up with gas'. The problem was, my mower was a plastic kids mower. So the gas went on the floor of the garage.
Evidently, while Dad and I were out mowing the hot water heater (which was in the garage) came on. The house and Dad’s brand new Lincoln (dream car) burned down!
Mom has a burn mark on her leg. This helps keep the story alive and well (when she wears shorts, bathing suit, etc).
Guest: “How did you get that terrible scar on your leg?”
Mom: “Tom did it when he burned down the house!”
So whose fault was it this fire occurred?
Most parents take extra precautions around children. As this case points out, mistakes happen. We are, after all, human.
But now, as an adult looking back on this, I think Dad should not have been fueling up his mower inside the garage. And he definitely should not have left the gas can readily available.
I mention this situation to make the following comparison.
I often mention how I believe the pulpit is guilty of inciting violence. In some cases, resulting in murder!
I suggest, religious leaders, like a parent must take extra care. Their actions and words must be tempered with fairness, compassion and love. These are the ideals all of us must focus on in a world where youngsters kill themselves rather then suffer an indulgent life.
My father made a mistake but it never happened again!
Many who stand in the pulpit forget they must protect those who look up to them!
Not some of them, all of them!
A parent who forsakes a child is guilty of child abuse.
Unfortunately, it's not so clear-cut for religious leaders!
Surely we can all agree, when the bible causes such a great rift in society we must move past it. As we have done with slavery and male-dominion biblical writings. We move on.
When a religious follower, guided by the words of his religious leader, kills a gay man the religious leader is an accomplice to murder! Perhaps mans law currently doesn’t see it that way, however, that makes the religious leader no less guilty! The religious leader knows better and will be held accountable!
As has been said, God doesn’t make mistakes.
God did not dictate the bible. This is one reason why every bible states it is a ‘version’.
Some seem to forget the two most important commandments in the bible are about Love. The second of which commands all of us to love each other! I don’t know about you but there sure seems to be a lot of people who didn’t get the memo!
Do you really think the author of those two all-important commandments would approve of us focusing on the negative and hateful messages in a book written by man?I suggest, once again, those of you who are so quick to condemn others in the name of God might very well be bringing condemnation upon yourselves!
Interesting so many religious people say you can’t have morals without religion.
I suggest the bible itself is that morals test. Those of you who are using the bible as a weapon to promote division and hatred have failed the test!
www.QueerPublicRadio.com a 24/7 LGBTQIA Licensed Independent Internet Radio Station. Visit, Listen, Support and become involved.
Comments