USA Gives More to Heterosexual Foreigners Than It's Own Homosexual Citizens

It wasn’t so long ago someone whom I thought was an understanding and caring friend verbally attacked me because I, according to him, ‘insulted the sanctity of marriage’. I can’t say his words weren’t hurtful but I dismissed him as I have so many other negative opinions through my life as a gay man.

But the interesting part about this particular individual is he wouldn’t even be in the USA if it wasn’t for heterosexual only immigration marriage rights. You see he was born in the UK and married a US woman to get here. An option that is only available to heterosexuals.

So here I am, a natural born US citizen being attacked by a foreigner about the laws of my own country. Not his country, he isn’t a citizen and wasn’t even born here. He has permanent residency granted to him simply because he married a US citizen.

After 3 years of marriage to this woman he is able to apply and take the citizenship test. If he passes, he will be granted full citizenship. Simply because he is heterosexual and married an American. Quite frankly I doubt this particular guy has the initiative for that. You see, in reality he’s simply an opportunist and in my opinion, unworthy of much respect, if any!

In 1991 I lost what I consider my only soul mate to the HIV/AIDS pandemic. If we were a man and woman (heterosexual) we would have been married. When my spouse died I would have been provided survivors benefits from social security, for the rest of my life! This is automatic when a spouse (who worked and paid into social security) dies, but only for heterosexuals.

The loss of Scott changed my life. Anyone who would suggest my suffering was any less than anyone else’s suffering under similar circumstances is simply full of crap.

But because my country deems me a 2nd class citizen, it offers more rights to a foreigner than it does one of it’s own. Indeed if the wife of the foreigner I mentioned above died, the foreigner would receive social security survivor benefits for the rest of his life!

The shame of these actions/inactions fall upon every American who doesn’t stand for equality.


www.QueerPublicRadio.com a 24/7 LGBTQIA Licensed Independent Internet Radio Station. Visit, Listen, Support and become involved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Headlines: Separation of Church and State (T23R-2)

Man faces possible excommunication from LDS Church for supporting same sex marriage

Biblical clarification regarding homosexuality